PR and Advertising agencies are supposed to be creative greenhouses. Yet,
the old “Internal editor” in all of us, raises it’s head so easy. (The “internal editor” I believe is our internal voice , our conscience, our left brain that can sometimes stop us from progressing. Years ago I worked with a consultant, a retired CEO who said the following : “The danger with gut feel is that it SOMETIMES can cause indigestion”).
Evaluate the following statements and ask yourself : ” How often you have used these statements?”.Did they prove to be correct?
- We tried that before.
- Where’d you dig that one up?
- Our business is different.
- It costs too much.
- It’s never been tried before.
- That’s not my job.
- Let’s put that one on the back burner for now.
- Let’s form a committee.
- We don’t have the time.
- I don’t see the connection.
- It won’t work in our department or business.
- It’s too radical a change.
- The Board of Directors would never go for it.
- The staff will never buy it.
- It’s against company policy.
- It can’t be done.
- It’s impossible.
- Let’s get back to reality.
- That’s not our problem.
- We’ve always done it this way.
- I don’t like the idea.
- You’re right, but…
- You’re two years ahead of your time.
- Don’t rock the boat.
- It isn’t in the budget.
- Has anyone else ever tried it?
- Good thought, but impractical.
- Let’s give it more thought. If not, or if they did!
What is the lesson for your consultancy or team? Please let me know!