PR and Advertising agencies are supposed to be creative greenhouses. Yet, the old "Internal editor" in all of us, raises it’s head so easy. The "internal editor" I believe is our internal voice , our conscience, our left brain that can sometimes stop us from progressing.
Years ago I worked with a consultant, a retired CEO who said the following : “ The danger with gut feel is that it SOMETIMES can cause indigestion”.
Evaluate the following statements and ask yourself : " How often you have used these statements?" Did they prove to be correct?
- We tried that before
- Where’d you dig that one up?
- Our business is different
- It costs too much
- It’s never been tried before
- That’s not my job
- Let’s put that one on the back burner for now
- Let’s form a committee
- We don’t have the time
- I don’t see the connection
- It won’t work in our department or business
- It’s too radical a change
- The Board of Directors would never go for it
- The staff will never buy it
- It’s against company policy
- It can’t be done
- It’s impossible
- Let’s get back to reality
- That’s not our problem
- We’ve always done it this way
- I don’t like the idea
- You’re right, but…
- You’re two years ahead of your time
- Don’t rock the boat
- It isn’t in the budget
- Has anyone else ever tried it?
- Good thought, but impractical
- Let’s give it more thought
If not, or if they did! What is the lesson for your consultancy or team? Please let me know!